BMW Z4 M Coupe Art Car, Liquitex acrylic paint, Enamel
website generator

Scatha, Tools

Surface prep was virtually unnecessary. I washed the car. That's it. I had already tested sealed acrylic paint on the hood a year prior, and knew that it would bond sufficiently to the factory paint.

To sketch out the composition on the car's body I used dry erase markers. For Scatha's paint I used Liquitex acrylics, with a couple of Golden colors due to availability. No primer was necessary.

Paint tubes used were: Brilliant Blue, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Red Medium, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Emerald Green, Iridescent Bronze, Ivory Black, Manganese Blue Hue, Light Blue Permenent, Light Green Permenent, Prism Violet, Titanium White, Unbleached Titanium.

The brushes used were: Flat #2, #4, #6 and #12, 1/4" short handle Princeton flat brush, 1" and 2" flat utility brushes, and a tiny detail brush.

The linework was accomplished using Deco Color enamel paint markers: Gold, Red, Copper and Black.

Photoshop was used infrequently, to do rough layups or color tests of certain color combinations. Google was used extensively to gather reference materials, and Google Sky was used to orient the Orion constellation with its surrounding stars. Microsoft's Flight SImulator X was used to help orient the roads of Santa Barbara on the driver side.

Start-to-finish it took approximately 250 hours over 2 1/2 months of straight work to complete the art car in time for Bimmerfest  2011. Following that event I spent an additional 10 hours compounding the clearcoat with a D/A Buffer to give it a better final gloss.

I am currently studying superior methods of clearcoating, using Liquitex's High Gloss Varnish, on Tribute. This will be retroactively applied to Scatha at a later date. Scatha will also be undergoing compositional improvements, utilizing techniques I developed during the Tribute project.